Through Black Spruce by Joseph Boyden
I read Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden with my f2f
book club back in 2007 and it really left an impression on me. The characters were unforgettable and the
story, haunting. Joseph Boyden has done
it again with Through Black Spruce.
Will Bird, a aging Cree bush pilot and is currently
in the hospital in a coma. He is accused
of murdering Marius who had been stalking him.
Will's niece, Suzanne went missing and somehow had gotten mixed up with
the wrong crowd. Marius thought Will
knew where she was.
Meanwhile, Anne Bird, went looking for her sister, Suzanne. First she went looking in Toronto, then Montreal,
and finally New York. Suzanne was a
fashion model and Anne hooked up with her friends who were also into taking ecstasy
and partying hard. Of course, Anne got
swept up in the life style and since she couldn't find her sister, even took
her place as a fashion models for a brief time.
Told from the alternating points of view of Will and
Anne, Through Black Spruce takes the reader through the older Cree lifestyle of
fishing and hunting, to the world of high fashion, and drugs. It helps the reader see what the like of the
Cree people is like. Through Black Spruce
is well written and has characters that will stick with you long after turning
the last page.
4/5
I
won this book from John of The
Book Mine Set for a mini challenge during this year's Canadian Book Challenge.








I am glad you liked this. I also enjoyed his debut and really want to read this one.
Kailana said... June 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I've had this one sitting here for months and keep saying I'm going to get to it "someday". I think you just kicked it way up closer to the top of the TBR pile. Sounds like something I'd really like.
Tina said... June 28, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Kelly, I can hardly wait to see what Boyden writes next!
Tina, I hope you enjoy it!
Teddy Rose said... June 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM
This is a new to me author and the alternating views certainly seem very diverse. He must make it work well!
holdenj said... June 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM
I love the reality of Joseph Boyden's writing.
Perogyo said... July 9, 2012 at 5:13 AM
Perogyo, me too!
Teddy Rose said... July 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
This is a new author for me. I enjoy stories written from two points of view.
Margie said... August 16, 2012 at 6:05 AM
Margie, I love this author!
Teddy Rose said... August 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Nice cover
bn100 said... November 30, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Post a Comment