Giveaway: The Objects of My Affection by Jill Smolinski
Thanks to Kaitlyn McCrystal of Touchstone Publicity, Simon & Schuster, Inc, I am giving away one copy of The Objects of My Affection.
Book Description:
Lucy Bloom’s life is in disarray. Freshly dumped by her boyfriend and suddenly rootless after selling her house to send her teenage son to rehab, she is reduced to sharing a bedroom with her best friend’s pre-schooler daughter. Although Lucy has lost it all, she’s determined to start over and build a solid foundation for her son’s recovery. Armed only with her decidedly NON-bestselling book,Things Are Not People, and a possibly bogus online degree in professional organizing, she snags a high-paying job clearing clutter from the home of renowned artist turned reclusive hoarder, Marva Meier Rios.
“Reading Jill Smolinski feels like hanging out with a charming, savvy, fun-filled new friend.”
~Claire Cook, author ofMust Love Dogs
“I loved this deeply felt, bravely honest tale . . . A treasure of a novel.”
~Melissa Senate, author ofThe Love Goddess’ Cooking School
“Simultaneously breezy yet thought provoking, this is a fun read that stays with you.”
~Sarah Pekkanen, author ofThese Girls
About Jill Smolinski:
Tweet
Book Description:
Lucy Bloom’s life is in disarray. Freshly dumped by her boyfriend and suddenly rootless after selling her house to send her teenage son to rehab, she is reduced to sharing a bedroom with her best friend’s pre-schooler daughter. Although Lucy has lost it all, she’s determined to start over and build a solid foundation for her son’s recovery. Armed only with her decidedly NON-bestselling book,Things Are Not People, and a possibly bogus online degree in professional organizing, she snags a high-paying job clearing clutter from the home of renowned artist turned reclusive hoarder, Marva Meier Rios.
As Lucy rolls up her sleeves to tackle the “stuff” that fills every room of Marva’s huge Chicago home, she soon learns that the real challenge may be taking on Marva herself. However, when Lucy accidentally discovers that Marva is clinging to a big secret more tenaciously than to any mere household object, the two women form an unlikely bond. Each soon learns that there are those things in life we keep and those we need to let go—though it’s not always easy to know the difference.
Early praise includes:“Reading Jill Smolinski feels like hanging out with a charming, savvy, fun-filled new friend.”
~Claire Cook, author ofMust Love Dogs
“I loved this deeply felt, bravely honest tale . . . A treasure of a novel.”
~Melissa Senate, author ofThe Love Goddess’ Cooking School
“Simultaneously breezy yet thought provoking, this is a fun read that stays with you.”
~Sarah Pekkanen, author ofThese Girls
“A moving look at the dangers of holding on to both objects and one’s misconceptions.”
~Booklist
“A charmingly breezy tone marks this warm appraisal of our addiction to stuff.”
~Kirkus ReviewsAbout Jill Smolinski:
Jill Smolinski is the author of the novels The Next Thing on My List and Flip-Flopped. Her work has appeared in major women’s magazines, as well as in an anthology of short stories, American Girls About Town. She lives in Los Angeles with her son.
This giveaway is for Canada and the U.S. and ends on June 8, 2012. Please use Rafflecopter to enter.
Tweet








I think sharing the bedroom with the preschooler will help her in some way. Sounds like a good novel.
teakettle58(at)yahoo(dot)com
Anonymous said... May 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
I've been hearing about this one. So glad to see a giveaway for it that includes us Canadians!
Literary Chanteuse said... May 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Thanks for this great giveaway. saubleb(at)gmail(dot)com
traveler said... May 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM
A captivating novel which I would enjoy this summer. elliotbencan(at)hotmail(dot)com
petite said... May 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM
THis book seems awesome:) thank you :)
-JennyC
Jen said... May 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I do like to read books about women who have to deal with tough times.
Maureen said... May 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM
This sounds like an interesting book.
bn100 said... May 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM
This sounds really good!
Colleen Turner said... May 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I'm also going through tough times so this would be a good book for me to get inspired by the character and how she gets her life on track.
Unknown said... May 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I want to know what the big secret is! Thanks for the giveaway.
mtakala1 AT yahoo DOT com
Margie said... May 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Anything to do with organizing/hoarding I find interesting - this sounds really good, thank you for the nice giveaway :D
Mary DeBorde M.A.D.
M.A.D. said... May 25, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I really liked The Next Thing on My List and look forward to her new one! Thanks!
Anonymous said... May 26, 2012 at 4:40 AM
My mother started hoarding when I had to move out of state. She has passed away years ago but I want to understand her more. I am the orgainizer, everyone tells me that.
I really, really want to read this book!!!!
Carol N Wong said... May 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Sounds like a great summer read! Count me in -
PMNSL95 at triad dot rr dot com
Patricia N said... May 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM
I can't tell you how badly I want to read this book. Jill Smolinski is awesome! And I can tell it would be a great summer read!
Amy said... May 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Looks like a lovely read! Thanks for the chance to win!
Kaizen Fashion Project said... May 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM
This sounds like a book I could get into. I don't know why but hoarding is just one of those things that intrigues me.
Sandra K321 said... May 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM
This book would be an enjoyable read.
Thank you for the chance.
:)Jeanne B.T.
momma8385 said... May 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Sounds interesting, and I'd like to read it. Thanks for having the giveaway.
ayancey(at)dishmail(dot)net
Anita Yancey said... May 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM
I would love to win this book!
nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net
Nancye said... June 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM
The story sounds like it'll be inspiring and great for Summer. Carefree and serious at the same time.
Na said... June 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Post a Comment